Fresh Fizz Radio: Zach Allen Discusses Leadership, Perceived Wilson Rivalry

TDTnews.com

Fizz Radio took an opportunity Saturday to look at the bright future of Syracuse football and basketball. Team Fizz caught up with Syracuse quarterback recruit Zach Allen this week.

Zach discusses the perceived rivalry between him and incoming quarterback Austin Wilson.

“We’ve been in contact very often. Especially when some of the reporters tried to get us to not like each other. We’re really looking forward to competing against one another, making each other better.”

Recruiting insider Alex Kline brings us the latest on SU’s Elite camp and all the news from around the hoops recruiting world. He says the Orange has taken that next step into the stratosphere of the very best in college basketball.

“They’re one of the top 5, top 10 programs every year to be able to to bring in top talent. It’s a top 5 program for recruiting. You can look at them right next to the Duke’s, the North Carolina’s, the Kentucky’s and Michigan State’s of the world.”

To top it off, Syracuse assistant and head recruiter Greg Adkins sits down with Kanell to get his take on the 2013 class, and the ability in the ACC to pluck talent from the south and new recruiting hotbeds for the Orange like Atlanta.

Filed Under: FeaturedFizz Radio Episodes

1. Yeah kudos to ZA for keeping his word tho that should go w/o saying!!I don’t understand the basketball aspect?I don’t think being in the BE would handicap anyones ability to get recruits after all were in the heart of basketball country in the talent rich NE so why would anything be any different in the ACC?Maybe Im missing something?I don’t think Cuse bb needed the ACC move for recruits like fb did!!

2. 4orty4our says:

Russ, I agree, I don’t think that the move to the ACC was “needed” for basketball. We’re going to recruit the NE in basketball the same way we have been the last few decades. However for football, as you mentioned, it will be HUGE, Billy Fuccillo HUGE. It has already paid a few dividends. I truly believe that this football program is on it’s way. I just wish the student and local support for the football program gets better because the top recruits want to play in packed stadiums. Zach Allen could be “that guy” to really give this team an identity. The future is bright!

3. the sackster says:

the football program is going back to where it should have been years ago. recruiting classes are getting better each year, and with a great football conference like the acc will really help our program. i’m really starting to see alot of positives for syracuse athletics and feel a whole lot more secure heading into the acc conference. its only a matter of time for the football program to really flourish, we need to keep investing into our football program and everything will take care of itself.

Anyone see Mike Quicks MSG varsity tonight?Effin RU got another 4*db out of NJ…Nadir Barnwell….thats the kind of attention EO will give us downstate when he commits to us in Dec!!Thats why I was hoping he would’ve commited early,it can start a snowball effect!!

5. bigdip says:

Agree that EO has the star power, but its the WORK on the field that grabs the kids now, rather, ” this time of season”! ZA brought way more attention than EO could! 1 espn coverage 2 elite11 acknowledgment. We care about EO, but others know we have an Elite25 Qb headed to SU! No specialist has come out and said EO has more potential than ZA at the next level, but ZA is tabbed as a real talent, so i believe that ZA is already SUs prize recruit. I’d argue no recruit will be as important, or impactful….

2013 lineup:

Qb: ZA 2- Loeb
    Rb: Gulley 2- Smith
    Fb: Provo 2- Davis
    Te: Wales 2- Thompson
    Wr: West 2- Broyld
    Wr: Kobena 2- Clark
    OL: Pugh, trudo, macky, emerich, foy

2013 Defense:

De: Brewster
    Dt: Zian jones
    Dt: Raymon (iowa)
    De: EO(fr?)
    Olb: Spruill 2 Washington
    Mlb: Lynch 2 Hodge(fr)
    Olb: Davis
    Cb: Reddish
    Fs: Eskridge
    Ss: Desir 2 Morgan
    Cb: Lyn

ACC ready?

@Dipper,now Id still like to grab a couple more BNs “big nasty’s” lol OL like AO and maybe another to go with EO and LS in this yrs recruiting class as I don’t think we have many left (schollys) after that!!But yes….I think were just about ready to dominate HaHa the ACC (xcept FSU/Clem)!!Hey Ron when are the “Legion of Superheros” reporting??lol..

7. Stringer says:

Agree with bigdip that Zach is the prize recruit. EO won’t start as a freshman, Zach may not either but has a shot. I have mixed feelings about Officer. It is great to get am OL from close to home but he is not as dominant as he should be against the competition he plays against right now. Probably a good upside though so I do hope SU gets him. Just would temper expectations, at least early in his career. Would LOVE it if SU got Laray! Kid is explosive and SU needs explosive. Would be surprised if he is used at WR instead of RB because of the depth that will be at RB the next year or so.

@bigdip I am not sure how much FB will be used in the future but I do know that Provo said he was choosing SU because they said he wouldn’t be used exclusively at FB like some other schools wanted him for. So maybe more H back then FB for him. I would also swap Foy for Hickey.

I notice no one has much faith in Adonis A-Moore on the 2 deep? Ron said he looked good from what he saw!AB could alternate at multiple positions if he’s cerebral enough to learn quickly.

9. Stringer says:

@Russ if AAM was any better why isn’t he playing this year? Not questioning Ron’s assessment but one has to wonder why he can’t even get on the field for 1 play. Is it all the dropped passes we kept hearing about during camp? Maybe, I don’t know but he isn’t playing so I don’t think we should be putting him on any depth chart just yet.
    Agree about AB. I think you will see more from him as the year goes on and he picks up more of the “small things” about the offense.

Yeah Stringer,I really thought AAM was really overrated a little playing his HS ball in “Colo”were lets face it ain’t known for putting out many NFL type players!!But when Ron went to watch Cuse practice said he lost weight and was unstoppable but that was practice!I thought in preseason he might be alright in goal line and short yardage situations!Sometime’s u can’t believe what u see due to circumstances.

@Russell MacEachern;Russell thank you for backing up my statement. AAM looked like the wrecking ball that people have come to expect. He was hard to stop in the Spring Scrimmage game. But I also said that I thought the best running back looked to be George Morris III a freshman out of Georgia. I never saw Jerome Smith come out of the pack of running backs,and I also said that Prince Tyson Gulley would be used this year.
    But Russell,yes AAM looked real good to me. When you have 8-9 running backs in camp it’s hard for all of them to get playing time. One of those gentlemen has to have an extra special Spring practice for him to step to the front of the pack and become the starter.

@Russell MacEachern,Stringer is hoping that we get LARAY SMITH TO COME HERE AND PLAY and so do I. Russell what do you think will happen then? Do you think that Zach Allen, Augustus Edwards and Laray Smith will become known as “Thunder and Lightening” at Syracuse? I could be wrong but,I don’t think any of the RBs graduate this year do they? So what happens then when we add another two to that position?

Growing pains, we all get them growing up and we all know how much they hurt. Coach Marrone experiencing some growing pains will have some decisions to make on how to control the pain.

Going to be interesting to say the least.

I think PTG has to be utilised along with AEdwards as thunder,seems we’ve gotten deep in a weak spot recently!!btw Im watching Espin and they’re finally giving the BE a little love,Lugz thinks RU is one of top 7 Ds in nation,12th overall ,10 run D!!About time something positive so when we beat them it’ll make us look better!!

14. wongzodsl says:

Buy New Era Caps Online in Australia,59fifty limited custom NFL, NBA, College, Minor League, NHL, MLB Hats, Fitteds and Snapbacks, Lowest Price and Save with http://www.wholesalenewerahats2012.us!