D.A.’s Knee Jerk Reaction: Syracuse Loses in Cincinnati, Bungles Another

Syracuse loses 35-24 in Cincy, leaving itself three games to garner the final two wins needed to be bowl eligible. While the Bearcats have had a strong season, once again the Orange found ways to lose to a beatable opponent. SU falls to 4-5, 3-2 in the Big East. Not a lot of breathing room for Syracuse in its postseason hopes. Here’s my knee-jerk reaction:

• A few weeks ago, The Fizz coined the term “KYP’s” – a term used to describe Kill Yourself Plays. The Orange has become masters of its domain in this regard. It only took the opening kickoff for SU to hand the ball to Cincy in scoring position. Jeremiah Kobena fumbled the kick to give the Bearcats a first down at the SU 28. George Winn punched it in from the 5 four plays later. The Bearcats led 7-0 in the first two minutes. That’s how you OWN the KYP department, SU.
  • Does this picture of Marrone not speak a thousand curse words? If you’re counting at home, that’s a fumbled kick return, a missed 42-yarder and a blocked 25-yard FG for Doug Marrone’s special teams unit. Read more from The Fizz about how SU’s handcuffed in making a change with the duties of the coaching staff. It’s been ugly this season on the special teams.
  • Once again it was an ugly sight when you tallied all the KYPs for the Orange. Syracuse turned it over twice, had 12 penalties and missed two field goals. That’s an astonishing 16 KYPs on the road against a good football team. By contrast, the Bearcats lost two fumbles and had eight penalties at home. That’s 10 KYPs. Guess who won the game by 9?
  • The question is why does it feel like the Orange take a step forward, but two steps back? The blowout win over UConn had it all. SU played close to the perfect game. But in the last two weeks, the Orange had to thrillingly dig itself out of a huge halftime hole and then played another sloppy game, both on the road. It’s Groundhog Day for the Orange.
  • Once again give credit to the offensive leaders, Ryan Nassib and Jerome Smith. The quarterback threw for nearly 300 yards and a touchdown, and didn’t toss a pick despite dropping back to pass almost 50 times (although he did cough up a fumble on a big blindside hit). Romey keeps his century mark streak alive with another 100-yard game.
  • It’s not like Syracuse fans can beat their chest too badly about football attendance, the Dome has been sparse many times this season. But someone wake up the city of Cincinnati and Bearcats alumni. 26,000 fans for a team that’s now 5-0 at home and going bowling again? Isn’t that dangerously close to Temple levels of attendance causing the Owls to get kicked out of the conference? The Big East needs all the programs it can get right now, so Cincy isn’t going anywhere. But 26,000 fans is a joke for a BCS matchup.
  • Syracuse now has to either beat the best team in the conference Louisville at the Dome or win on the road in the SEC at Mizzou – then take out Temple. Oy.

Posted: D.A.

1. AJ says:

Da here’s the problem with that reaction’s is how many emotional up and downs can the team have in one game when it seems like the officials are doing everything that they can to make sure Su doesn’t win. Look at the Cicny “fumble” that was recovered by Su early in the 1 st quarter that was reviewed and stayed as a non fumble. Im starting to think that B.E. officiating crews have orders from the B.E. Commish or someone to screw SU. I mean Su cant be committing a penalty on ever game changing play and the Fact is that we average almost 4 more penalties a game then our B.E. opponents is crazy. Yes did Su make some mistakes of course they did 1 blocked field goal and a missed field goal are inexcusable, 2 dropped td passes same thing, a dropped int same thing but they over came most of those mistakes to get deflated be the refs.

Carlton,I can’t enjoy this either way..I know how u feel!!

Great,ya never jump the gun and I made that mistake…good for u I hope it goes on for you!!

These are the kind of games u got to win to get to the NC game!!!

I Agree with AJ that officiating was crummy and very suspect?Is it the BE?Karma in Ohio for Akron?About attendance I noticed the “U”,Md,BC,Duke and a lot of ACC schools also struggle with low attendence?Outside of a few like FSU,Clemson and maybe one or two others factory-type schools a lot of schools attendence is down?Indiana,Minny and 2/3 other BIG 10 schools are under 30k?Economy?

btw I think Cinncy’s stadium is only built for 35k?I read that on some blog this week!!

7. Carlton says:

Dodge it fosure today. Played flat coached flat…just awful. Anyway espn 3 kept going out so I missed most of the 2nd half of the ‘cuse game. Was following updates on twitter. Thought everyone would be here flipping out. Sucks this team makes so many errors. It is what it is at this point. Hope for a bowl if not basketball tips next firday!!

8. Aaron says:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUUUU$##$#$#@#$!!!

9. Section 129 Smitty says:

The officials were horrendous. Seriously does the replay booth have high def because they are not seeing what I am seeing. How do they not call that a fumble by the Cinn. at the 10 yard line, it was clearly a fumble. I want an explaintion on that one. On the play in the end zone how does the official that his falling again falling do the ground call a TD but the official that is standing up wave it off but the play on the field goes as a touchdown then they review it and the ball hits the endzone line but again with black and and white tv and some 70 year old offical who can no longer be on the field and now cant see review it and not see that. Very frustrating. I thought Nassib and Smith played well. I love Reddish and think he catches that ball 99 out of 100 times on that play but that was a game changer, he catches that and we are up 31-21. Special teams is gets a F for the year no matter what we do from here on in. Marrone your experiment with the special teams was a failure, Sorry.

Florida 14 Missouri 7 enough said!! No bowl game again. HCDM/dougie again did not get this team ready for game day!! FIRE HIM and his MILLION $$$ contract!! Enough already!!!

11. the sackster says:

terry remember what happened when we fired coach p? were starting to get back are old recruiting ties and now we need to fire the coach again. i put this loss on the players period. how many chances do they need to win that game? the refs didn’t help matters neither. look a bowl game probrably don’t look possible but i think we will be just below 500, which isn’t great but not terrible. besides i see a better team for next year, plus better conference. at least we didn’t get beat by kent state..

12. the sackster says:

if you really look at this years schedule and how we lost these games this year i think were heading into the right direction though. we were in the all the games this year. we should have beaten northwestern, minnesota, rutgers,and cincinnati. also they played usc tough this year so lets all be realistic here.i can’t stand losing but i feel we are a young team with a few key players that are seniors. at least we had a good out of conference schedule. i think we will be seeing better days..

The USC game doesnt look that good anymore as they were obviously,seriously overrated and u are what ur record says u are!Yesterday was Ohio’s revenge for last years Akron loss!With that said we can beat Mizzou and Temple and still make the Pinstripe bowl!

@Sackster,we don’t play Kent St do we?I know they’re ranked 27th last week and should be in top 25 this week!!I think u mean’t Akron but we won that game w/a little help lol!!Why bring up last years misery again?Lets be happy if we can make a small bowl!!

Or were u thinking of Stoney Brook?

Carlton,yeah the espn3 feeds are terrible,my TWer kept going from HS playoffs back to “Cuse” in an out all thru the game!!Maybe the storm had an effect?Those officials should be investigated for that fumble call …it was just as obvious as the xtra point call in last years Akron game!!We wuz robbed!!@Ron,did u notice “Cuse17″s gloating post as soon as game was over?Still acts like he’s in 4th grade!!

@Russell MacEachern;Russell,that idiot that goes by “Cuse17″ called us idiot’s in his post yesterday. I haven’t see the game at all. I knew the results AND I ALSO KNEW THAT ASSHOLES LIKE TERRIE AND CUSE17 WOULD BE COMING OUT OF THEIR COCOONS AND START SPILLING THEIR ILK HERE.

I know my statement hasn’t sunk into their peas sized brains yet so I’m going to say it one more time and hope that both get the message after reading it.

Doug Marrone isn’t going any where after this season. Syracuse isn’t going to fire him next year or any other year in order to please fools like the two of you.
    He’s opened up the recruiting and has renewed important contacts with in state and high schools located up and down the Eastern Seaboard. He’s been in constant battles with some of the biggest programs and has gained respect from both players and coaches.
    So give it a break guys,go back to where it is you came from. From one of the people that you have referred to as idiot’s,my message to you is this,yours and Terries comment’s lead me to belief that both of you have had a very bad childhood,never happy,never having fun playing with other kids your age.

FOR ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO “LIVE IN GLASS HOUSES” SHOULDN’T BE THROWING STONES AT ANYONE. GET IT FOOL? I THINK I’VE MADE IT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR ANY 3RD GRADER TO UNDERSTAND AND HOPE YOU DON’T FRY YOUR BRAINS TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT.

Ronnette needs councelling!!

19. Mike says:

I’ve never been more frustrated watching a football game in my entire life….. they may as well just scrap instant replay if they’re not going to overturn blatant mis-calls. Inexcusable. Is this something the BE league office reviews and can reprimand that crew for? I was watching the game on SNY in standard def and those calls were obvious and easily over-turnable via instant replay….

I think if Brandon Reddish catches that ball thrown directly to him and returns it for six – nothing but daylight ahead of him – that would have turned the game and momentum completely. These are the plays this team just doesn’t seem to make. Throw in the other KYPs and it’s tough to come up with a road W.

I’m sure every team in America can say this, but looking back at Syracuse’s losses it’s incredible they couldn’t have mustered a win against NW, Minnesota, Rutgers, and now Cincy…. Murphy’s law. It’s getting down right frustrating.

I can see it now – defeat Louisville or Mizzou and then lose a heart breaker to Temple….

20. Mike says:

All that being said, I don’t think Doug should be fired. If he’s fired, we’re right back to square one.

It seems like we’re on the verge… Gotta keep moving forward.

21. Drove all the way to port chester from burlington vt at 2pm when we got the word we were devasted only 30 mins from town but whats most important that everyone stays safe and scotty hope everything is going ok for you in the city. Had a feeling Trey would cover this tonight. THANK YOU. I hope it made everyone that was able to watch feel a lil better!