Fizz Radio: Rob Long Discusses Shafer Hire, Challenges of Coaching Change

Kevin Fitzgerald hosts Fizz Radio and discusses the changing landscape of Syracuse football. Former SU punter Rob Long drops by to compare where the program is now versus when he got to campus.

Can Shafer keep the momentum going? How will recruits react? Long believes it’s the right hire.

“I think anyone who was tense before seeing the press conference will be a little less now. He’s an emotional guy, he’s so powerful, he brings a fire to the team. It was an easy decision for Dr. Gross to make that move.”

Long remembers what it was like under Groobers.

“If you take a look at where the program is now… it’s a way different program. So when you have something like that, there was no reason for a major overhaul. Coach Marrone laid a great groundwork. A great base for the program to build off of. I think Coach Shafer will pick up right where he left off.”

Should people be upset Doug Marrone left?

“Unfortunately college football is a business. I think it’s a great decisions by him. He gets to coach a storied franchise. I don’t think many people can fault him. You can’t be mad at the guy, what he did for the program.”

Did Long see Marrone’s future in the NFL?

“After how Ryan (Nassib) progressed and developed, that showed a lot about his coaching abilities. I think he’s going to be an excellent NFL head coach.”

What was the most challenging part of a coaching change when Long was there?

“The hardest part was in the locker room. There was a lot of division. There was a lot of people looking out for themselves. The second he gave his first meeting, we realized maybe this is the guy that helps us out and turns this around. It was a culture change.”

Here’s the entire Fizz Radio episode.

Filed Under: FeaturedFizz Radio Episodes

1. HedgeHog says:

Just saw we offered a scholarship to a new QB – John O’Korn out of Florida. This kids is legit, as in better than that Zach kid legit. Dude is 6-3, 205 and is dual threat. Has way more offers than Allen – among those Louisville, Houston, NC, USF and Wisconsin. We just offered him today. Things may be looking up in central NY !

2. Cuse Don't Luse says:

need O’Kourn or Wouliard

Only offered recently by Wisky and “Ville” and turned both away…says with our luck UH might have been the team who found the kid with integrity??Now we’ll see if Shafer is any kind of recruiter!

Anyone know why Wheatly went to MAC school UB or did Shafer let him go??Dont make sense!?!? Buffalo got a hell uv a recruiter and RB coach!I just saw it in the last thread in Kev Fitz’s commentary reply!

Sorry guys,negate that last post I guess I read it wrong,Wheatly must’ve gone to the Bills which at least makes some sense tho I still dont like it!!Whose next??I dont know how this is the 1st I heard it?

6. Derek says:

O’Korn probably turned Wisc and Lville away because he’s not as likely to see playing time at either of those schools, at least not as early as he would at Cuse. Who knows, though. It’s a bit late in the game, but it’s Houston, after all… not like it’s TCU or Clemson.

7. Carlton says:

Wisc I didn’t think had a great QB. From what I saw at least in the rose bowl. Although i’m not sure what the depth chart looks like. Same for Louisville. They might get 1 more season outta bridgewater but I don’t think their is anyone in place after that.

It seems theres at least mild interest from O’Korn?Maybe Shafer has some STA connections as S.Fla is full of NY/NJ expatriates including the O’Korn family!!Carlton,who does the “ville” have targeted for Bridgewaters spot?

9. I am not sure where you are getting your information, but great topic.

I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
    Thanks for fantastic information I was looking for this info for my mission.

10. SmoopsTum says:

Hello. Facebook takes a slots move on on 888 casino freight: Facebook is expanding its efforts to oneself understood rash real-money gaming to millions of British users after announcing a decree with the online gambling companions 888 Holdings.And Bye.