What’s Next? 3 Biggest Storylines of Syracuse’s Offseason & NYC’s Big Fish

Today marks one week since National Signing Day, which means Syracuse fans can officially consider this the start of the true offseason. The Orange reeled in a class of 19 recruits (not 20, ahem Akeem Jones), and the future is looking bright with the new staff. Before the Spring Game jumps up in two months, let’s take a look The Fizz’s top three storylines to keep your eye on until spring practice.

• New Football Facility?

According to reports, Syracuse is about to reveal new plans for updated athletic facilities on the Manley complex. The new 120 yard indoor practice turf would connect with the current Iocolano-Petty wing and cost around $15-20 million. The Orange has needed an update of its facilities for years, and its too bad Doug Marrone won’t be around to see it. It’s because of his four years that plans have even been put into action. Two 8-win seasons, a pair of bowl victories, and improved recruiting classes proved that SU had earned an upgrade.

How close was Marrone in landing big names, specifically Ebenezer Ogundeko? The Orange came so close in signing the 4-star Brooklyn defensive end. Now that SU will be competing with 13 other ACC schools for some of the top talent, the addition of brand new facilities is a necessity. Scott Shafer and company will get a necessary boost if these new plans are true.

• A Jump On The Class Of 2014

We already saw what The Mailman George McDonald, Tim Lester, and Shafer could do in a matter of weeks. Now imagine what this staff can accomplish in a calendar year. SU’s Class of 2014 should follow the upward trend since Marrone shook over. The biggest concern after NSD was losing out on all three of New York’s top rated prospects, Ebo, Augustus Edwards and Laray Smith. At one point, it looked all three would wear Orange.

But there’s one name that already stands out in Brooklyn next season: Erasmus Hall RB/WR Curtis Samuel. The versatile 6′ 190 lb. tailback is being touted as the next big fish to come out of the city, and the Orange should get a jump on his talents. After missing out on a RB in this past class, his speed and agility would make a great addition next season. He’s played on a Dutchman squad that went to back to back PSAL city championships and won last year’s in Yankee Stadium.

• Injury Watch

There are already a handful of players that have been deemed out for the Spring Game: Prince-Tyson Gulley, Dyshawn Davis and Eric Crume. All three will be playing huge roles this fall. The trio has already had surgeries and houldn’t have any problems making it back for the Penn State opener. But it’s something to keep your eye on. Alec Lemon had offseason shoulder surgery last offseason, and the rehab lingered long enough that he missed the openerNorthwestern, and didn’t truly look himself until half way through the season.

Posted: Kevin Fitzgerald

@Kevin Fitzgerald;

Syracuse making the big investment to build better facilities==better recruits==better competition on the field==more fans in the stands==more money for the athletic programs.

Simple,so lets make the investment!!!!!!!

GO CUSE;

You might want to pay attention to the health of twosecon year tight ends who were injured last season One a highly rated recruit named Ron Thompson and the othe high rated Josh Parris.Both red-shirts are facing challenges from Provo and Batten.

3. cuse17 says:

Ron Thompson saved my cat when it was stuck in a tree.

I touted the talents of Samuel’s this past year. But at the same time I thought Rouse was just as good!! But again Mr Williams might show his ugly head here again in dealing for Samuel!! LOOK OUT!!

5. LilJoe47 says:

Dare to dream… The practice facility is a MUST HAVE. Hopefully that’s true…. But if we are to dream big, what about a city-state-school funded multipurpose outdoor downtown stadium??? The main tenants being Syracuse football, with Syracuse lacrosse and soccer on a part-time basis… Also professional soccer, lacrosse… Outdoor summer concerts…. State high school championship games…. Etc etc….. Syracuse is beautiful in the fall. Many Saturday afternoons fans would rather spend the last few days of nice weather outside, then going into the dome… Think of the competitive advantage we could gain with late season games against our new southern based conference teams…. Florida State, Miami, Clemson, and all Carolina’s…. Not to mention the PR boost the city will get from the exterior sight lines of televised games….. It’s time….. Build it, and they (fans and recruits alike) will come.

6. Cuse Don't Luse says:

I think Mr. Williams thinks he is helping getting gets the big time looks but ishaq is apparently miserable at ND and homesick on another note we have 4 total freshmen tight ends and a cupboard of running backs which will both have to carry the rest of the passing attack

7. Derek says:

I love the idea of an outdoor stadium in the city.

For not respecting the star system you might think a kid we raved about from Rochester never existed on this site and I thought he was our biggest miss…Ebo?too flaky..visits UConn a week after us and commits..then visits NJ and decommits..loved being wooed..Laray?a teaser who came closer to UConn than us…now I see another Rochester kid Justin Noye is going to camp at RU this spring/summer and they offered already and will we wonder why we lost him next LOI signing day?Being first to offer means something to high character kids!!

Derek,I know what you mean about an open outdoor stadium…as a kid I loved the sights,sounds and smells of a football Saturday game and the life it brings to a community…young kids are drawn like moths to a flame to the excitement and atmosphere…..mmmmm,burning leaves,crisp fall air,cheering and the sounds of the bands!!!Those were beautiful memories of my youth!!Ron would remember!!

For me Russell there is nothing like the changing of the seasons every year. I’ve enjoyed the games played and the over-all atmosphere each time that I’ve gone,especially when it’s time to go after something to eat.

In 1958 my friends and I set down and watched the first ever football game broadcast live(in black & white) on television. The New York Giants led by Y.A. Tittle against the Johnnie Unitas led Balitmore Colts. After that game was played the cameras showed Y.A. Tittle kneeling in the endzone with his helmet off with blood running down his face. From that game on Russell,Saturday or Sunday afternoons were meant to play football games on. Our neighbors raking and burning the leaves,smelling what the women of the neighborhood was cooking for us to eat at dinner time. Special times Russell that would give us all who experienced them everlasting memories.

As we got older,you know the teen years,our games got a little more serious,we started in playing anyone who dared challenge us in football to a beer game with the loser paying for it. Those were the good old days Russell,they hold a special place in my heart. Where I grew up the last generation has passed. A few of my friends are gone also. When I drive through the old neighborhood,I think of the things that happened almost to the day when the event took place. Sometimes I sit and laugh and remind myself that the best time in America was back in the decade of the 50′s. All we have left are the memories.

Ron,yes I remember that Jint game with Tittle and hopping the fence at 7 or 8 years old during the national anthem while the cops were saluting the flag to get in free Haha….I still love the smell of burning leaves (illegal now)and food cooking on crisp,cool fall days while the older kids would drive by waving our HS pom-poms and blowing the horns (if we won)otherwise the neighboring teams would blow their horns (BOO)…I feel fortunate to grow up in such wonderful,innocent times!!BTW..is something cooking Ron?LOL..

Im surprised ur a Jet fan instead of ol school Giant fan like most of us oldtimers!!

In my teens and twenties (btw Marine Duty)we would play guys from other neighborhoods or towns w/no equipment Tackle football and broke many a nose and eyes loser paid for hot dogs and kegs of beer!!Softball in summer!!My company had a good softball team 73-76..

eyes-”black-eyes” “broke nose”…sometimes a thought dont make it to print upon reread Haha..

We played thew game with out any equipment too Russ. Our unwritten rule was no dirty play in any of the games. That rule didn’t last long at all. The last game that I played in a game the guy tackled me at the knee and hit me so hard I thought the knee was coming out the back of my leg. The leg turned black and blue and was laid up for a week. Needless to say that ended my days playing football.

It must have been fun and physical playing the games with your marine buddies. Something that’s not easily forgotten.

Now Russ, I never said I was a Jet fan. My pro team has always been the Buffalo Bills. I mentioned the Baltimore/New York Game because it sparked a lot of kids to start playing the game on weekend afternoons.

Again thanks for the update on Kurt Holuba. I hope we get him to commit to Syracuse. Recruiting is going going to be real interesting this year. I wish the football season would start next week.

16. Mademan says:

U guys will not get Holuba if RU gets involved trust me. Now Samuel is someone I can see dawning ORANGE. Early playing time and the ability to stay at RB are factors. RU recruits better than you guys but suffer the same problems when it comes to landing instate superstar talent. We aint have a chance at Jabrill Peppers. I am going to let you know a secret. SU and RU will face eachother in football this year. That’s for 4-Star 6’4 285 lb DT Holley.

17. Howdy, i read your blolg from time to time and
    i own a similar one and i wass just curious iff you gett a lot of
    spam feedback? If so how do you stop it, any pougin oor anything you can advise?
    I get so much lately it’s driving mme mad sso any assistance is very much appreciated.

Take a look at my weblog – cnn news live mandela