The experience of Allen could be the difference maker for Scott Shafer.
After the Spring Game, Hunt had the inside track. Now as the summer winds to a close, we’ll get our answer at MetLife Stadium on Satutrday afternoon. Hunt and Allen are two very different style quarterbacks, but Scott Shafer will have to decide on one. Here’s five reasons Allen could be tabbed the guy:
1) This is Allen’s fifth and final year of eligibility. It’s his first shot at being a first string quarterback. This is like the Greg Paulus situation. He came to Syracuse for a year after doing his undergraduate work at Duke and became the starter. Allen didn’t come to Syracuse to sit on the bench. Shafer is going to pick the man who gives the team the best chance to win, and Allen brings experience and maturity.
2) Allen is similar to Nassib. The New York Giants rookie ended up as one of the most prolific passers in program history and won two bowl games at SU. The offense could enter the season with consistency by staying with much of the same philosophy as the Orange had last year. The receivers would be able to understand the concepts of the aerial game easier if Allen takes the reigns.
3) It would give Hunt more time to develop. Allowing Allen to take the snaps gives Hunt a chance to grow into the role. Allen is only here for one season. While the Orange has talented quarterbacks coming in this February (including AJ Long), Hunt will be well positioned to battle for the job next summer. Hunt will also be able to learn from Allen from watching him play.
4) Allen’s experience at Oklahoma will help. OU is a perennial power, and Allen couldn’t get much playing time because of the depth the Sooners had under center. But practicing against an OU defense that has produced David King, Stacy McGee, Jamell Fleming, Frank Alexander, Ronnell Lewis and Travis Lewis (all NFL draft picks over the past three years), can only help Allen produce in the ACC.
5) It sets up the Orange well for both this year and next. If Allen is the best choice this season, then the Orange hit the opener with an experienced leader under center. That would set up SU well next year, with Hunt entering a battle with other young QBs after having gone through a competition already.
Posted: Austin Pollack