Don’t Wait ’til the End: Syracuse Must Grab Bowl-Eligible Win Against Pitt

Follow The Fizz on Twitter for the latest SU football news

Via Syracuse Media

After taking a bashing against Florida State, the Orange will try to turn the page and focus on being bowl eligible. Their first opportunity will come this week against Pittsburgh who is 5-5 (2-4). What does this weekend’s game come down to?

For starters, it’s about the offense.

Terrel Hunt has been scrutinized since taking the starting role away from Drew Allen. Besides the Wagner and Tulane game, Hunt has not proven that he can be the starting quarterback of the future. Unfortunately for the Orange, there are not many replacements. Every time Drew Allen has had an opportunity to regain the starting role, he has turned the ball over. Hunt will have a chance to prove himself against the Panthers. Pittsburgh is giving up 27 points per game and struggled on defense last week against UNC, surrendering 34 points to the Tar Heels. However, the Panthers were able to hold Tar Heel quarterback Marquise Williams to 173 yards and no touchdowns.

On the defensive side of the ball, the secondary is going to be the major focus. UNC only averages 122 yards on the ground, but 280 through the air. Eric Ebron and Quinshad Davis are leading the Tar Heels in receiving yards and will look to take advantage of a depleted Syracuse secondary. With Julian Whigham out with a nasty abdominal injury courtesy of the Seminoles, the Orange will look at players like Brandon Reddish and Wayne Morgan to contain Tom Savage. Savage, the transfer from Rutgers, has thrown for 18 touchdowns and 7 picks this season.

The Orange must play with a sense of urgency to get that sixth win.  They cannot afford to leave it to the last minute against BC. The Eagles have already reached bowl eligibility but will be looking to win to get a better bowl. We will see how the Orange responds after the loss in Tallahassee.

Posted by: Zephan Mayell

1. orangeinva says:

Uhhh…aren’t we playing PITT this weekend?
    Why would we worry about Tarheel WRs?

I’d love to feel good in this Pitt game but I just don’t yet. Maybe the memory of last week is lingering too much. Losing Isiah Johnson at the DE spot along with Estime hurts. I doubt that PTG will be effective if he gets in leaving it up to Morris and DMF to pick up some plays. I ike them both but this game is important on so many levels that makes the timing critical.

3. thesackster says:

please win this game..

The two freshman not playing will have an effect on Saturdays game!!

If SU loses then there is no bowl. BC will beat SU the following week. B could be SU’s biggest rival from now on.

That makes it 3 in a row for 3 new coaches and 3 losing seasons. Why do you think HCSS will be any better. Maybe beat Pitt to change that fact!!

The main reason for this teams lack of solid play is the QB position. Yet HUNT is always there representing SU at pressers. If he played like a leader give him that job, but he can’t complete a TD pass for weeks. There’s plenty of other players playing at a higher pace than HUNT. Give them that job instead of HUNT!! They earned it!!

Do not forget the kids at PAABUSEDU!! The NCAA did!!

Just got home from the womens ice hockey game against Robert Morris. Game ended in a 1-1 tie. They will play them again tomorrow at 2:30 pm at the Trinity Pavilion located on South Campus. Go get em girls.

Just finished reading that 3* WR Corey Cooper has kept his word and will commit to Syracuse and be on campus to start classes in January,and be eligible for spring ball in 2014.

I know that some may not think Corey enrolling at Syracuse ia a big deal,but this paragraph was taken from the syr.com article.

He was pursued almost immediately by other schools, including South Carolina, North Carolina, Mississippi State and Maryland. Once Cooper failed to qualify his recruitment reopened by default. But he remained loyal to the Orange throughout the process.

Staying true to his word shows me the kid has class and integrity,something missing in today’s youth. pretty good bunch of schools that went after him,wouldn’t you say?

Thanks Corey cooper for keeping your committment to the Cuse and welcome to the Orangenation. YHour going to like it here.

hey guys the Women’s Ice Hockey Team play their home games at the Tennity Ice Pavilion located on South Campus,not Trinity Pavilion as mentioned before.

sorry.

8. upstate andy says:

I feel today’s game will provide a big moment for some players. I hope that Hunt has a big game. For a backup player who has sat the year waiting for their moment to play has come. We will need a good secondary today to help stop Pitt. Pretty sure our d-line and LBS will be playing there hearts out. Hickey will need a big game to prove he is NFL caliber. He will do that by shuting down Pitt’s shining star on the defensive side of the ball. LETS GO ORANGE!!! BEAT PITT!!

9. upstate andy says:

Also just read the story bout Cory Cooper. Glad to hear that he has kept his word. He will be enrolling into the cuse in january.

10. Dr. bill says:

Opportunity BLOWN!!!!!!
    We played this game like we were scared to win….This game was there for the taking and we let it slide. I hate the offensive play calling or lack there of by our offensive coordinator….Terrible game!

11. OrangeCrush27 says:

I’m done watching ‘cuse football regardless of try make a bowl. The offensive play calling is absolutely awful. GM better go to some OC clinic or school this offseason to learn how to call plays ….just gross

12. P. Jones says:

Defense , once again , plays their as*es off and the offense stumbles horribly . And dumb penalties giving Pitt the better half of the field , on crucial drives , is just plain ‘ol dumb in itself .

And to be fair here … when you have a beast of a player , as in Donald , on the opposing team . You are NOT going to win by trying to run through the middle .

You can only beat a team like that by passing , which SU sorely lacks at the moment .

Good luck next week , BC is another team that is not a pushover .

13. upstate andy says:

I agree. Enough said.

14. Dr. bill says:

How many Division I college football teams can’t execute a simple down field pass of any kind? OK, so you QB is not strong at drop back..well what about roll outs? I watch other teams go thru some simple routes to get their QB in a flow. What do we do? Where is the short drop quick pass, such a key part of the West Coast offense. Don’t you have to play to your QB’s strengths?

I just don’t understand these plays at all. How can an offense look so bad for an entire season?

15. One word decribes it best”pathetic” as in PATHETIC!!!!!! you know pathetic!!!!!!!!!

Terry seems to have hit the nail on the head when he said “The main reason for this teams lack of solid play is the QB position”.

NO ONE that includes ME,can argue his point,can we?

You scare me RON!!

Why do you say that Terry? Because I agreed with you and dared anyone to come up with a different point of view?

There are an awful lot of people out there that just falls to pieces when others start stating facts and talking the truth about things. People just don’t like being told the truth.

@Terry;

I’m giving it until the end of the week before I address a point that both you and I have discussed in earlier post Terry. Let me say if me agreeing with you scares you wait until the end of the week. Like I said before,I can get just as nasty as the next person,and I won’t hold back and am not afraid to speak what’s on my mind.

@Terry;

When people write/post that they can see Terrell Hunt as the starting QB for the next 2-3 years,I respect their opinion,by not making fun of them or going off on them because of what they believe.

For me,I just don’t see Terrell making it next year at all. My choice as the starting QB in 2014 is Austin Wilson out of Pennsylvania. I also believe with
    Alin Edouard and

Hit the wrong button before finishing my previous post.

I also believe eith Alin Edouard and AJ Long coming in will make for a very interesting spring.practice. But my money is still on Austin Wilson.

22. Ron,Im pretty disappointed the whole weekend but I really thought we shoulda handled Pitt this week?It won’t be easy with BC having a good Oline and the nation’s leading rusher but they’re not unbeatable(see the last 5 yrs)!!They just escaped Md with an unimpressive win and the Dome is tougher on visitors!!The extra 15 days of practice and extra game a bowl brings is important here now with our young squad and coaching staff!I think the kids will give it all they have.No more predictions….lets just have fun doing our best…FB season is supposed to be fun but even my G-men soured my weekend!!