Syracuse Joins Fray, Offers 4-Star Offensive Lineman Gabe Megginson

Follow The Fizz on Twitter for the latest SU football news

via Illinoishomepage.net

Once again Scott Shafer is using his ties to Illinois to help him land a talented offensive lineman. 6’5’’, 290-pound Gabe Megginson attends Jacksonville High School in Illinois and received an offer from the Orange yesterday. Megginson already has offers from Miami, Michigan State, Ohio State, Oregon and many other top Division I programs, but SU is very much in the hunt to land the talented offensive tackle.

Megginson’s current situation is almost exactly the same as incoming freshman Denzel Ward’s last year. Both players are massive offensive lineman from Illinois who received several offers from Division I powerhouses. In addition to Syracuse, Florida, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma and UCLA all offered Ward a football scholarship. He ended up choosing the Orange because it gives him a chance to compete for playing time right away. This likely will also be the case for Megginson if he elects to come to Syracuse.

Coach Shafer recruits the state of Illinois extremely well. Including Ward, Shafer has six recruits coming to play for him this fall from the state. Shafer coached at Northern Illinois from 1996-2003 and at Illinois in 2004. Throughout his time at both universities, Shafer spoke and evaluated talent at numerous camps and clinics in the area. He still has many connections there and it shows due to the number of players interested in Syracuse that come from the state. The fact that Megginson plays high school football in Illinois significantly betters SU’s chances of landing him.

At a glance, a Megginson commitment may seem out of reach for the Orange. That’s what many people said about 4-star receiver KJ Williams before he committed last season. Megginson is in no way a lock to come to Syracuse, but there is a definite possibility that he will be playing under the Carrier Dome roof in two years.

Posted by: Connor Morrissette

Filed Under: FB RecruitingFeaturedFootball

1. Cuse17 says:

If you want these kids.. And we do.. Playing time is one of our few positives!
    The administration has to start improving facilities, coaching salaries to keep and attract the best, services to support the athletic and academic needs of the kids and get behind the Program.
    The College Football community and ACC need to know we are on our way back! There is no doubt if you live in South Florida.. The Miami Program will be back. The vib, the alumni and the administration have made it clear..the U will be back. The kids get it and the talent of their recruits is improving.
    It’s time for our new Chancellor to invest in a Program that has been abused. I’ve gotten on board with Shafer. It’s time to make our product attractive enough to get this kind of kid!

@Connor Morrissette;

Damn Conner how dare you put an article on here about the possibility of getting a monster of a lineman so early on a Saturday morning getting me so worked up about the future of Syracuse Football.

Great article young man,lets hope that Gabe Megginson recognizes the benifits of committing to Syracuse and becomes a member of the Orangenation as a member of the Syracuse Football Team.

Gabe committing to Syracuse would definately turn some heads. Wouldn’t it?

@Cuse17;

I agree,the next big thing after the new IPF building is built is to upgrade the housing on South Campus for the athletes.

Two years ago the University let a construction company build 5-6 brand new modern day 2 story apartment complexes over on Comstock Ave. A deal was made with the company that after a 10-15 year period it would be transfered over to and run by the university.

It’s time for the university to get rid of the 1 story cubicles that they house the athletes in now. I’m sure if that were to happen it would attract big time recruits to Syracuse University for all of it’s sports.

Just remember that Nancy Cantor raised $1.2 billion dollars for the university in her last year as chancellor. They have the money to upgrade if they wanted to.

4. Connor Morrissette says:

@Ron,

Thank you for the kind words.

5. thesackster says:

its obvious that we want big time football players here at syracuse university. my opinion is that syracuse does put our players in the nfl, and if a kid comes here to play football that can get on the field early all power to him. the probrability for that type of player is just a whole lot greater to make it to the nfl quicker.

6. thesackster says:

oh looking foward to the spring game and hope to see all the die hards there as well. keep the football news a coming please.

@Connor Morrissette;

Is that picture of Gabe Megginson standing near the quad up at the University or somewhere close to the new Life Sciences Building that was built a couple of years ago?

Has he been on campus at all? I guess I should have asked these questions this morning huh?

8. Connor Morrissette says:

@Ron

I’m not sure where this picture was taken, it was not at SU. To my knowledge Gabe has not visited the school but he may in the near future.

@Connor;

Thanks for taking the time answering my questions.

really appreciated.

10. Connor Morrissette says:

@Ron

My pleasure, thanks for reading.

11. Cuse Don't Luse says:

Connor this is the kind of post I was hoping to find on here, also we share the same name so this is just a perfect post.

12. My favorite first names are Conor(with 1 ) and Clayton.Mom like dads 1st name Russell which is common among my family and amongst the Scots and Ulster scots-irish though mom is Irish-catholic with the scots-irish surname of Jackson…yes as in Stonewall a distant relative.

13. Connor Morrisette…tell DA to give Ron(only Ron) my email….sorry to be OT guys.

DA, Connor and staff of FIZZ look we are talking about a recruit that probably will not attend SU and this site gets more hits than most SUBB stories !DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH! Sorry Ron just complaining. I’m not good at that!! LOL!

I last read that the IPF center is about 2 months away from starting to build. WTF!! At first it should be 1/3rd done by now!!

If he signs great. And you guys know that I’m big on different site star ratings!! But a 2 star OL candidate of ALL the positions is one you can gamble and work with. A good coach can pull a lot out of an OL kid. But the coach SU has now I really wonder about!! But the 2015 class needs at least 3 OL candidates. I’d like to see a position center come in to!!

Damn UCONN!! This SUBB team blew it this year. Of the teams there SU should of been there too. Yet no complaints as of yet from nation or local really!! Poor coaching on JB!! But this years kids were a good bunch of kids compared to past years!! Sorry DA(if you read this) I blew one of my own complaints to say this!! LOL!!

DO NOT FORGET THE KIDS OF PSABUSEDU!! THE NCAA DID!!

15. Cuse17 says:

Ron
    Nancy was a fraud! Insiders will tell you the Billion $ was funny money and not something we have in our hands. She was politicing for the Princeton job and ended up in Newark where she belonged!

Doesn’t change the facts. Yours is but one example. The facilities and care and feeding of the student athletes has to improve for us to make a jump. That includes improving the coaching staffs compensation to levels seen at the top 25 level. Want to attract and keep the best!
    We put a few kids in the Pros every year and they seem to stick. So do the big programs. Check the stats. Right now early playing time is our best selling point!

16. Malone says:

IPF will begin construction May 1. We are in on a lot of OL and RB… a LOT. I think they are attacking this with volume in their usual hot areas (midwest and Georgia/Fla). I don’t think I have seen that they’ve offereed anyone less than 3 stars, but I don’t think they’ve gone after a lot of 4-5 stars either, at least not at the line positions. Skill players yes, but not the OL to my knowledge (which is admittedly limited).

Jason Cabinda being arrested for DUI opens the door for some questions.

For example; How will Coach Franklin handle Cabinda being arrested period? Will Cabinda get thrown in jail for underage drinking? Will he set him for a year? That wouldn’t be any sort of punishment because he was going to be red-shirted anyways. Will Penn St release Cabinda from his scholarship and let him transfer to another school?

Will Franklin and the adminstration allow more unwanted investagation into the football program if nothing is done?

I guess we’re going to have to wait and see if Franklin is a no nonsense type of person that everyone projects him to be.

Things are getting real interesting down in Happy Valley?