Prince-Tyson Gulley Tells The Fizz He’s Left The Hospital & Feeling Better

Tremendously good news for Orange Nation just two days after the stabbing of Syracuse running back Prince-Tyson Gulley, as the sophomore tells The Fizz he’s feeling good and is excited to get back on the field.

“I’m out of the hospital. Yeah, I’ll be back. I’m good. Just taking it slow now.”

We know his injuries aren’t life threatening which is a relief to everyone, since he was stabbed multiple times Friday night at a party. He was in good spirits when I chatted with him over Facebook. The university has been understandably tight-lipped after the incident, although Doug Marrone did issue this statement:

“We are aware of the incident in which Prince-Tyson Gulley was injured last night. He is recovering from the injuries and will be under the care of our medical staff. We will continue to work with the proper authorities as we handle the matter internally.”

His health off the football field is the first priority, and after such a traumatic experience there’s a chance Gulley could be redshirted (he enters the season as a true sophomore), with Marrone and the medical staff playing it cautiously. But the early signs are very positive for Gulley’s return to 100%.

Another story of violence off the field for a student-athlete may not sit well with some fans. There’s always the possibility someone has pegged Gulley as a knucklehead who put himself in a bad situation, but that person would be dead wrong about PTG. I was able to get to know Gulley through a class we had together last fall. Words that describe him wouldn’t be “reckless,” “careless” or anything of the like. Instead, when I think of Tyson I think of “smart” and “well-spoken.”

The class was Sociology 101 and Tyson would often be a large part of the discussion in lab and wasn’t afraid to speak out in the 100+ person lecture. He is the typical Marrone student-athlete, just as smart on the field as he is in the classroom. After the opening game against Maine at the Dome last year, Tyson and I were on the same bus back towards South Campus. Gulley had gotten carries late and I told him, “When you watch the film, you’re going to kick yourself. If you bounced it outside, you could’ve walked in.”

His response? “I just had to keep it inside man. Run the clock out. That was my job.” He walked into class Monday and said he saw the hole on film. Next week with 4:14 left against Colgate he charged in for his first career touchdown.

That Gulley is feeling well and in good spirits is truly all that matters. However, there is a football side to this story, too. If Gulley is redshirted, the Orange are incredibly thin at running back behind Antwon Bailey. The only other speed back is Steve Renee, who’s listed at 5’7” 174, but is probably closer to 150 lbs. The other options include Jerome Smith, who was having a good spring until he was sidelined with a concussion. Sophomore back Mario Tull played linebacker last year for SU and Fizz favorite Adonis-Ameen Moore is just a freshman.

Violence, and particularly stabbings, are something that have become far too common in college athletics. From my time at MTSU, I knew Tina Stewart, the Lady Raider basketball player who was fatally stabbed to death by her roommate (a non-athlete). Big East football is no stranger to the violence either, as memories of UConn DB Jasper Howard surely flooded to the minds of many when they heard the news of Gulley. It’s a rash of senseless violence that somehow needs to end.

For continuing coverage of Gulley’s return to football follow us on Twitter. If you’d like to send your own get well wishes to PTG, he’s also on Twitter: @DaPrince23SU.

Posted: Craig Hoffman

1. rob says:

Great article. So glad to hear he’s doing as well as can be expected.

2. Brian says:

About 10 years ago a bunch of football players got in a brawl at Sadie’s Place and David Byrd got knifed really badly

3. Andrew says:

I had a class with him as well last spring and I echo your sentiments on all counts.

4. mdb80 says:

pretty cold to go the facebook route to write an article, but typical for fizz level of journalism.

5. brian says:

Something similar happened in-season a few years back. It was 2005ish give or take a year when Tanard Jackson was stabbed. I believe it was outside of Shine. He missed a game or two and then was back on the field.

6. darren says:

i got the chance to talk to prince tyson at goldstein for awhile this spring. i agree with craig, he’s an extremely nice, well spoken, smart kid who’s got a good head on his shoulders. thoughts and prayers go out to him and his health

7. DA says:

Always proud of Orange Nation – great to see all the positive thoughts going out for PTG. By all accounts a good kid and I’m really glad to hear he’s doing well. @mdb80 – as always, thanks for the positive feedback. Personally, I think it’s pretty cool that today you can connect with athletes directly through social media and hear from them on their own status. It’s also a compliment to PTG’s attitude that he wanted the fans to know he was doing well because he had gotten plenty of support and well-wishes already.
    DA

8. Paul says:

MDB80…get out of your moms basement and get a life. All you do is troll these articles with dbag comments. Clearly you love the website if you keep coming back. You sir, are a joke.

BTW it’s 2011. There are means of communication other than the phone. For someone who spends so much time on the internet you’re pretty clueless if you don’t think social media is a way to get the deets for a journalistic piece. Maybe you should get on facebook or twitter so you can find some actual “friends”.

Rant aside, keep up the good work fellas. Nice to hear about what these guys do off the field every now and then. Best wishes to PTG.

9. Marty says:

Great job by the Fizz. They are only place we are getting new, up-to-date information on PTG. I 100 percent agree with DA, they are properly utilizing newer social media.
    Get well soon PTG. Don’t worry about football. Get 100 percent healthy before you consider giving it a go on the gridiron.

10. PV74 says:

Glad to hear he’s recovering. Many down here in Scarlet Nation hoping he gets back on the field for ‘Cuse. We also appreciate all support Orange fans have given to Eric LeGrand.

11. Hoffman says:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. MDB80 perhaps one day we will make you happy. One day….

PV74 – I think I speak for anyone with a heart and a pulse in saying we hope Eric continues down his road to recovery. He’s going to be at ESPN soon and I hope I get the chance to meet him. Thanks for your support of Tyson. Next time I talk with him I’ll let him know the rest of the conference is thinking about him.

Hoffman

12. LouR says:

Good luck to you. The next time you see things getting a little crazy get the hell outta there man. People who drink and stuff have no regard for their own safety let alone yours.

Go out this season and make some big plays