Permanent Captains Installed: What Took Syracuse & Marrone So Long?

Doug Marrone has decided to establish permanent captains for the final three weeks of the season. You have to wonder what took so long? Syracuse had been using a rotating system, where the four Orange captains were voted on every week depending on leadership shown in practice. But for SU’s stretch run, it’s going to be Ryan Nassib, Justin Pugh, Siriki Diabate, and Shamarko Thomas.

The Fizz understands the idea of putting a carrot out every week for players. Allowing captains to be voted on might motivate some to be first to the weight room, last off the practice field, and hold teammates accountable in the huddle. The hope is it keeps pushing individuals to higher levels of leadership, instead of letting everyone remain static.

But realistically, when a team is butchering the same situations on the field every Saturday, doesn’t it make far more sense to install permanent leaders and ask them to hep steer the team? And wouldn’t it have helped this team to establish permanent leaders before the season, then allow them to develop their voices?

On the same day he announced his change in captain policy, Marrone also lamented how penalized his team is.

“When a team goes out there and commits that many penalties, and I’ve said this before, it’s a direct reflection on the coach. And gosh, I’ll tell you it hurts when that happens, because I’ve never been part of that. Obviously, I have to do a better job.”

Yeah, tally up 12 penalties for over 100 yards in the loss at Cincinnati. And the entire season has been one slow motion close-up shot of a yellow flag being thrown near an SU player.

It’s nice that Marrone keeps saying “I have to do a better job.” But we’re nine games into a 12-week season. When does that “doing a better job thing” kick in? Something has to change. This is past aggravating. It’s past maddening.

Instead of screaming louder on the sidelines, it makes more sense to ask your leaders in the huddle to demand more concentration. And when you have different leaders in that huddle who have been given the gold star just for the week, maybe those voices just aren’t loud enough.

Syracuse should’ve established its captains (Nassib, Pugh, Shamarko) before the season (like almost every other football team in the last century), and told them: this is on you as well. Get your teammates focused. Get them disciplined. Show them silly mistakes won’t be tolerated.

Look, just because there’s perma-capatains now doesn’t mean suddenly this is going to be the least penalized team in the nation over the final three weeks. A lot of these same names have been voted as weekly leaders anyway. And it’s better late than never on the policy change. But I’m just wondering why Marrone tried to re-invent the leadership wheel in the first place.

Posted: D.A.

You can’t just announce your gonna name team captains and create them all of a sudden!Real leaders “captains” rise naturally not because u decide thats what we’ll try next,their either already there or their not!!Usually ur upperclassmen naturally lead the way….Nassib,Pugh and Thomas appear to fit the bill as leaders by example but at this point of the season I don’t see it affecting our won/loss record this year!!How about surprising us and win the rest of our games for starters..@Dipper,how do you see it?

You fit the profile Russell. In my opinion your a natural born leader. King of the one liners.

Another stupid idea from HCDM/dougie. No wonder why the players are out of balance. But Ronette will still not understand why dougie decided on this move!!!

@Ron,thanks Ron but I hate to say it but its true….silly idea/story like i said their either there or there not lol!!No wonder it got little comment!!

Hey Ron,I often think about bgogo and Normas tits?I wonder if disappointment drove them underground?They were good smart people and fans!I liked listening to their friendly but strong points of view!!Salt of the earth fans!!I hope they return with the wins!

You know I never gave it a thought Russell, your right though,it has been a long time since we’ve heard anything from bgogo or Norma. I put my truck into storage for the winter today and was talking to my mechanic about these idiots who post on this web site and learned a new catch phrase. He calls them “SWITCHBOARD HERO’S”. Don’t it describe Terrie and Cuse17 to a tee? “SWITCHBOARD HERO’S” also known as fools or idiots. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it’s a great way to start the day.

Ron,did you get much snow?We only got an inch or two!!Its sposed to warm up 2day!!I pay no heed to “Cuse17″ as he only shows up to gripe especially after a loss to gloat and try to turn the board against the Dougie!!

What type of truck?40FTer?Pick-up?Flatbed?or for harvest around ur garden/lot/farm?Your an interesting,old-time type of guy Ron!!

Working the HS playoffs this week or tailgating?I doubt u miss a home game!!The HS playoffs wrap it up at the Dome around Thanksgiving?

Hey Ron,we not one at a timin heay,we’s mass communicatin!!I suspect some misogynation goin round heay!!He’s done desecrated the confederate flag,interferin with ol time rituals….we’ll is u is or is u ain’t?HaHa…O’Brother where art thou?

11. D.A. says:

Russ, Ron, guys – If you guys need help making plans, just have Marrone help you vote on captains before the weekend… and then that guy can decide what you do.

D.A.;What type of comment is that? Where are you coming from asking Russ and I a question like that? First of all I really don’t care who they have as captains of the team. What the hell man, Coach Marrone should go get guy’s like Terrie and Cuse17 and maybe throw a guy like you into the mix to help motivate them. Coach Marrone wanted to do something different it didn’t work,so for Gods sake man let’s move on,and leave Russ and I alone to do our thing. OK!. And you call yourself a professional!!!

It’s bad enough that we have to deal with a pussy like Terrie and guy’s like Cuse17 on a daily basis and now we have to answer criticism from you too. HOW FREAKING WONDERFUL.

@Russell MacEachern;no we didn’t get any snow where I live,but they did get snow in the higher elevations here in Madison County during this past week. I have a 1999 Silverado pickup truck that came from Hawaii. Was real lucky to find it at a local dealership and one of my granddaughters and grandson helped me make the decision to buy it. Because of their involvement during the purchase,I later labeled it “PAPAS TRUCK”. I put it into storage every year because the truck hasn’t ever been driven in the snow.

@Russell MacEachern;I will be at the game on Saturday watching it live. No tailgating though,my son won’t be going to the game because of a close relative of his wife passed away and the funeral is going to be Saturday.

Your comments are amazing Russell.

Priceless bro,just Priceless.

I think I might have made a mistake by calling them “SWITCHBOARD HERO’S Russ, I should have said “KEYBOARD HERO’S instead. Doesn’t really matter to me because their both the same to me.

You mentioned missing bgogo and Norman. Where has the professor been lately? The guy that likes to correct everyone’s spelling and the proper use of the English language.

Ron,I think D.A. was only joking around w/us?We dish out a lot of stuff and “Fizz” don’t really interfere so don’t take it as a Terry or C17 attack….no real harm and I took it as a compliment that he was letting us know he too can be “just 1 of the boys”?What do u think now that uv thought about it?is u is or is u ain’t?HaHa….Yeah Ron,I almost forgot about the Proffessor,lol,he was just a funny meticulous guy..Odd Couple type HaHa..I think of my spelling and grammar every time I think of him HaHa..

D.A.,Im sure u guys watch the board as well u should but Ron and I sometimes get a bit touchy due to…well u know,a few clowns who don’t like Corned Beef and Cabbage HaHa!!

BTW,thanks for the leverage u guys allow us we appreciate it,youz iz good people!!

russell, I’ve thought a lot about the post that I made responding to D.A.’s comment. I don’t really know if it was truly D.A. or another imposter.

If it was an imposter,then I owe D.A. an apology. If it wasn’t then I owe him nothing and will stand by my response.

I know Russell that they must read the posts every day and that they give us a lot of space to babble to each other. But if it was DA, then I think he could have made his point a little more fan friendly,if you know what I’m saying.

There are a few people who tend to get under my skin here. When they make stupid remarks about the two of us or good people like Carlton I have to respond. Maybe I should ignore them all,but Russell it’s awful hard for me to close my eyes and mind to their foolishness.

Yeah Ron,I know what u mean….were pretty hardheaded and opinionated ol timers who just have to let it out HaHa,…at least me and do,its in our DNA HaHa!!Remember that comment we discussed last week about that very thing?

I said to u I know you just had to let it out same as me we just can’t help ourselves!!But I really don’t think D.A.had any malice in the give and take comment?Thats the funny thing about the web,sometimes things don’t come across the way u intend them too!!We can’t take ourselves to seriously all the time!!….