The Syracuse 7: Calculating Final Orange Odds on NSD’s Last-Minute Races

257Sports.com

On the eve of National Signing Day one thing is a certainty: Syracuse’s recruiting class will be far better than most of us could’ve predicted two weeks ago. When Doug Marrone left the wheels looked to be coming off the Orange Bus, but Scott Shafer and George McDonald snapped into action.

On the strength of their guts, SU is poised to have one of its best classes in years. With a day to go, here’s how Syracuse’s late races are shaping up and the odds of landing the player (of course subject to change throughout the day).

• Stacy Coley, WR, Northeast HS (FL): Slim to none.

It was always the longest of long shots that one of the best receivers in the country would land on the Hill. The four-star recruit and has more than 25 offers, and seems to be leaning to FSU, although Miami and Ole Miss are finalists. The Mailman’s relationship with him spurred some talk that he would take a late visit to the Hill but that never materialized. It’s all good though, since SU has reeled in a trio of stud wideouts in the last week.

• Brisly Estime, DB, Atlantic HS (FL): Very likely.

The dynamic kick returner and big play threat seems certain to sign with the Orange tomorrow. He’s had a tumultuous recruitment, de-committing from two schools, so nothing is a given with Estime. He tweeted today “Will surprise the world tomorrow…” although he publicly committed to SU over the weekend. Nevertheless, it seems highly unlikely he would change his mind so suddenly before NSD. He also has a very strong relationship with the Mailman.

• Reggie Spearman, OLB, Simeon Vocational HS (Chicago): Fairly Likely.

The 15th best pass rusher in the state of Illinois took a visit to SU over the weekend. The Orange already have three LBs committed to this class, but Spearman seems excited about playing football with his teammate Kendall Moore. Spearman told the Chicago Tribune “It would be big playing with one of my best friends. To go to the same school so we could play ball together again would be amazing. That was a big thing, even with Illinois when we both had Illinois, but that didn’t work out.” He also has Iowa and Minnesota as his finalists. His best shot at that is on the Hill.

• Kendall Moore, OT, Simeon Vocational HS (Chicago): Fairly Likely

Moore committed to Western Michigan a couple of weeks ago, but said the official to SU over the weekend made a big impact. Moore is ranked a top 20 prospect in the state of Illinois. The Orange could definitely use more depth on the line, but did just get a commitment from monster Alexander Hayes.

• Simeon Thomas, LB, Miami Carol City HS (FL): 50/50

There’s plenty of momentum gaining that Thomas will choose the Orange. He told The Fizz how much he looks forward to the possibility of playing for McDonald, and an Orange squad that can make some ACC noise. The Mailman factor is enormous, but he’s also looking heavily at FIU. Will he decide to stay close to home, or travel up north for a chance at a BCS conference?

• Malik Brown, DE, Dwyer (FL): 50/50

Brown (pictured) seemed like a strong SU commit the entire way, until the final two weeks. He took a late visit to Tennessee and now his decision is definitely up in the air. He tells the Palm Beach Post, “This is a very hard decision. I’m so confused it’s ridiculous.” He also has USF as a finalist. New head coach Butch Jones and three assistants visited Brown last week, and have been putting a late push on him. Usually you like your chances with a Florida kid and McDonald working the SU side, but in this case the draw of the SEC might be too much.

• Laray Smith, RB, Xaverian HS (Brooklyn): Unlikely

Once the staff stabilized, Smith tried to quell the assumption he would de-commit and head elsewhere. But a late trip to Indiana has many wondering if he will eventually choose Hoosiers tomorrow. The track star creates an enormous speed problem for any opposing defense, but the departure of Marrone totally grounded his interest in SU. He would’ve been a surefire Orange had the old staff stayed. But The Fizz believes he’ll hold the coaching change against SU when he decides tomorrow.

Posted: D.A.

1. Jax32 says:

Today is the day, Here we go!!!

2. Duany Duany says:

I thought national signing day was Wednesday, not today…

3. Aaron says:

There should be another article regarding the odds of some of these players actually making it to SU once they sign their LOI. In recent years academics has kept a lot of these kids from making it to campus.

What does Brisly Estime mean by he’ll shock the world tommorow?Did’nt he already publicly commit to “Cuse”?Wheres the shock?I’d be shocked if he DIDNT commit!!..

5. ron says:

@Terry;

Well,well Terry it looks like your boy Rouse made the big league after all. I hope that all goes well for him at Boston college.

Had the offer from Boston College not come through, Rouse was prepared to attend prep school for a year instead of accepting offers to smaller FCS schools.

The above statement came from an article that was posted on syr.com today and after reading it a couple of points came to mind. 1) it’s apparent that his grades are not the best and that’s why other school stayed away from recruiting him. 2) Boston Colleges Football program must be hurting real bad if they had to recruit a player like him. 3) I’m real glad that coach Addiazo wasn’t hired as the head coach for Syracuse University.

I wish the kid well and we will see what he’s like in the fall when Boston College comes here to play.

Calm down Ron!! Prep school was in the mix no doubt!! But BC saw something there. Rouse’s ability is better than some on this current SUFB team NOW!! I don’t know if he’ll qualify, but if he does and he shows up and looks Joe Morris type against SU what are you doubters going to say. That’s a huge jump I know. But to not at least mention this LOCAL kid is an embarrassment to the program. A NYS Gatorade player of the year too! Tyler I’m going to watch your career. Show these doubters wrong. Hell to be the second coming of Joe Morris ain’t bad. Good luck and I hope the best for you(only not when you play against SU)!!

7. ron says:

@ Terry;

If Tyler has an outstanding career at Boston College Terry,I will be the first in line to say that(I was wrong)and you were right and apologize to the both of you. But Terry I live in the real world and don’t ever see that happening.

I too wish him the very best and hope that he proves us all wrong. Go Tyler Rouse.

8. Duany Duany says:

Any truth to the rumors Rouse didn’t qualify for SU admission and that the local media kept it on the down low because they didn’t want to embarrass a local kid?

9. Duany Duany says:

Stacey Coley 0% chance, already stated he’s not leaving the state of Florida. Something weird is going on with Estime. Based on this kid’s recent history, I wouldn’t be shocked if he announces he’s forgoing his football career to become a Lawyer.

10. chad says:

@Duany,

Estime just posted on his twitter he is 100% going with Cuse tomorrow. Nothing shady going on with him

11. Duany Duany says:

Thanks Chad, wonder what his comment this morning was about?

12. shu says:

we played against rouse and su should have signed him no matter what. 90 average and never a problem. Seen him work at vb and he kills himself to try for su. I am su through and through but a local kid that talented not getting a shot cause he is too short is bs. Bailey just graduated and he was 5’6″ and now u have gulley who is maybe 5’8″ maybe. His hs coach even went to su and it didnt matter. I feel its a mistake. I hope he kicks ass. Even against su.

13. Duany Duany says:

Don’t think the issue with Rouse had anything to do with his average. I think the issue is with his SAT score.

14. Brian says:

If Rouse does well against SU, I will be more than happy to be on the receiving end of some ‘I told you so’s, but I don’t think it will happen. There are essentially two types of RB in college. Big, strong, slow guys or small fast guys. Rouse has the undesirable mix of being small and not all that fast. Once the competition is bigger and stronger, he will find it difficult to gain any yardage.

15. Davve says:

I’ve read that Rouse might have had a couple of concussions and that was why some schools backed off

16. Brian says:

Duany, Estime’s statement that he was going to “shock the world” was more about self-aggrandizement than anything else. Every recruit wants it to seem like they are changing the fate of history by his commitment alone. I am excited for his prospects at Syracuse, just think he wants his signing day to be a big moment.

17. AJ says:

As far as Rouse goes I was told directly from the HS coaches that he didnt have the size SU was looking for end of that story. As far as the other recruits go here’s my predication we land :
    Spearmen,Moore, Jones, Singleton, Vercher, and possible a surprise like Simeon Thomas. We will also hold on to Brown.

It could’nt have been desperation on BCs part could it?I mean they’ve had about 11 decommits since Oct and have 1 of the worse BCS recruiting classes in the country at around 96th but hey remember Dion Lewis who also was only 5’7″ and Pitt was his only offer?Good luck to the kid!!Happy now Terry?

19. orangeinva says:

Spearman to IOWA…
    Kendall Moore to CUSE

20. Derek says:

That works. OL is more a position of need than LB, and it’s good to be building inroads at that school. Seems to turn out some good talent.

21. bigdip says:

No my man Russ, BC likes those undersized guys! Addazio is no fool people…doh! That is BCs new HC…Why not get my son to transfer from SU & while he’s transferring get a “mike hart” clone, and NY player of the year? Montel Harris is a good example of their type of rbs, then put’em behind 320 lb 6’6″ OL monsters…he’ll be fine or play db! His family should be proud!

* but here at SU… we have 5 rbs that are bigger*faster*stronger than Rouse! There are 100 rbs with his stats or better nationally, because of level of competition… how do you even gauge the kids talent? He can thank the heavens he got a BC-$50,000/yr. education! I havent heard of any CITY KIDS SIGNING BIG THIS YEAR…. DAMN SHAME, especially with FM getting double digit schollies? Local athletes is an ironic phrase!

* Syracuse University should want A+ HSFB programs in their own backyard? Greedy machine….

22. CuseOnly says:

@Terrie

I am sure that Rouse and his family will be happy to hear that a person of your character and intelligence will be stalking his career.

LOL!!

23. CuseOnly says:

On a serious note, I hope we can hang onto Malik and get a few others.

Would like to see Laray or another Rb and a stud linebacker to go with Hodge.

I would think that BC’s admissions are no easy matter either to get accepted!! So I still wonder here about Rouse!! I just see something there(his balance is amazing) but he moves on and so do we. But he could come back to haunt SU!! Moore a great pickup too!! Gee cusephonly your babbling now like the others do!!

Oh,I get it Terry….everyone who’s not agreeable to Terry is now a babbler?And only Terry knows whats good for the Cuse?Are you now the Fizzmeister?lol..I would have liked Spearman and hope too that we hold on to Malik Brown!!

26. Lululemon says:

I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic information I was looking for this information for my mission.