Why Ryan Nassib’s Draft Stock Directly Impacts Syracuse Football’s Status

As we move closer to the NFL Draft, hype and buzz surrounding Ryan Nassib is escalating higher than most of us thought possible. ESPN’s Jon Gruden and NFL.com’s Greg Cosell have called Nassib the best quarterback in the class, and some draftniks are looking at the Bills at #8 as a possible landing spot. What does it all mean for SU’s brand?

Just a year ago, fans were dissatisfied with Nassib’s erratic play and insecurity inside the pocket. The 2012 Spring Game did not have an offensive touchdown, and it looked like another season hoping the defense could win low-scoring games. Despite early season struggles, Nassib matured as the season progressed, and eventually became the strength of the team. Ryan has a cannon for an arm and can throw into tight windows when needed. But Nassib’s patience in the pocket, along with scrambling ability has NFL scouts excited, and his potential to be a franchise quarterback is higher than ever.

The Bills need a quarterback but taking Nassib in the top 10 might be a stretch. Then again look at what the Dolphins did last year, when Miami drafted Ryan Tannehill in the first round after Mike Sherman joined the staff. Nassib will probably land somewhere by the 2nd round. In an era of quarterback dependence, a franchise will quickly snap up a player believed believed to be the first or second best signal caller available.

What does this mean for SU football? The program has done a great job of getting out of the dark ages of the Greg Robinson era and pouring time, effort, and money into a program that is going to adjust to the ACC next season. Nassib is a great example to show prospective recruits you don’t have to be a top 100 recruit to be a high pick. Nassib was a two-star recruit who struggled heavily through his third year.

The impact he made his senior season erased all the earlier doubts. Recruits will see how Nassib has made Syracuse’s offense a threat, and view the coaching staff favorably having developed a top pick. Having a player like Nassib in the pros also gives Syracuse credibility, and coaches a success story when talking to recruits.

With the Spring Game over and the season still more than four months away, Nassib becomes one of the biggest SU football stories this summer. Lets hope that he grabs the spotlight this week in New York, so that the program can share in the glow.

Posted: Zephan Mayell

Look for Ryan’s time at SU I have been behind him. The Paulus experiment and dougie held this kid back. Is he NFL material?? Only time and seasoning will tell. I just hope it ain’t in Buffalo!! I feel the only time that a SU NFL alum helps recruiting is when their name is in the lights. If Ryan, Shark or any other SU player gets drafted that will have little effect on recruting. What will effect recruting is winning,building better facilities, named/popular NFL players and a exciting coaching staff. All HS kids like that. Good luck Ryan!!! Go SU!!

@Terry;come on guy,I’m not afraid to say that Buffalo has always been my NFL Team. Do I want Ryan to go there sure,why not? He’s going to have a bigger/better and stronger line protecting him. Do I think that he can repeat last year’s performance in the pros,yes. Let’s see if Buffalo gets him or not. That alone will be the top story of the draft. We’ll see if Marrone and Hacket are men of their word then.

I’ve always told my sons,that it seems to me as the Syracuse season goes,so too does the Buffalo season. When Syracuse wins Buffalo wins and when they lose they both lose. I do know one thing though,it’s been a long time coming and I believe that Syracuse has turned the corner and is on the way up. It’s time for Buffalo to do the same. No matter where Ryan ends up I wish him all the luck in the world.

Go Cuse;

3. Mountain Man44 says:

McNabb was a top 3 pick in the 98 or 99 draft and look how awful SU was after that. Hopefully things will be different this time around.

4. thesackster says:

nassib will do ok in the nfl. i beleive with his smarts, size, and toughness he will come together nice for an nfl team. i think he could go any where from mid 1st round to a 3rd round pick. i’m hoping to see all my syracuse guys go as high as possible in this upcoming draft though and wish all of the su players all the success in the world. with that being said anytime syracuse football gets mentioned in the nfl draft or on espn for an upset victory its all good for recruiting, but the facilities upgrade is a must for continued growth and success for su football.

Nassib going in the first round gives us some chesty pounding right for future recruiting at Syracuse at the QB position.We would have put in two different types into the NFL Dual threat and pro-style in the first round.This is a crucial recruiting year for Shafer as this will be his first full-timeyear with his coaches and himself trying to bring in his type of player from sa physical point of view. So far ,so good.

6. Andrew says:

I hope he goes in the first round for Syracuse’s sake. 2 consecutive years of first round picks only helps the university’s legitimacy of developing football talent for the next level.

That being said, I would not want my NFL team to take Nassib before the second round.

Ron-Buffalo is not the only in place in the NFL. It was talked about being moved out to LA. And still might if its old owner dies. No family ties then. Look most other NFL teams are better than Buffalo. Ryan has the smarts no doubt, but the physical ability has to be checked first. To throw Ryan to the Lions playing for the Jills under dougie is not my best dream, more a nightmare. Why Buffalo?? Because its close to SU. Come on!! The best for him really is to get out of town and learn the trade properly!! I really hope the best for Ryan. Its just not going to happen in Buffalo!! Sorry!!

8. Carlton says:

@Terry, Bills just signed a new deal to stay in buffalo for at least 7 more yrs. Of course someone could buy them but would also have to fork over I think it was 10million + to relocate them out of buffalo. I honestly think the bills should pass on all the QB’s this season in the draft. The bills did nothing through FA besides let ppl walk an already needed LBs, WR, QB and TE. Now they need LBs, G, WR, TE, QB and CB.

Hey Carlton,what do you think of EJ Manuel coming to the Bill’s?Does he really have a 1st rd draftpick type ability?You’ve seen him more than most…whats ur take?Thank’s..!I thought Tyler Wilson and Geno Smith would have been my preference at that pick!!

10. And guess what? THEY HAVE UTTERLY AND ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL AT THAT POINT.