Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News

FB Recruiting

You’re In, Kid: Daoust, Moore Offer Trumaine Washington Immediate Time

Follow The Fizz on Twitter for the latest SU football news

via SF High School Sports

Syracuse assistant head coach Tim Daoust and wide receivers coach Rob Moore paid a visit to Miami Killian Senior High School Tuesday. Both coaches, known for their persuasive recruiting pitches (Daoust in the Midwest and Moore with WR commit KJ Williams), extended an offer to cornerback Trumaine Washington. Although currently committed to Akron, Washington has gained significant attention from ACC schools in Syracuse and soon-to-be Louisville.

Washington resides in Miami, Fla. and has dashing quickness in the secondary. He plans to make a trip up On the Hill January 31 with several other potential Oranges. Daoust and Moore made the trip for plenty of reasons, but one stood out to Washington:     

“They said they liked my speed. I have great speed. I can cover well. They like the Miami people too and asked if I could come for a visit on the 31st. I said well I had scheduled FIU (Florida International) but I shut that down because Syracuse is a big school. With 3 DBs leaving, they said they need some people to come play right away.”

The idea of stepping foot on the field the moment you sign on the dotted line lights the eyes of any high school player. Daoust and Moore lit the lids of Washington with the proposal of immediate playing time. SU consistently researches secondary players to bring in, whether it’s high school, junior college or through transfers.

The program struggles to maintain success in the defensive backfield. Washington shouldn’t take the offer lightly because cornerback and safety positions are often wide open come time for spring practice at Manley Fieldhouse. 

The Charlie Strong-less Cardinals are also in on Washington’s services. He tells The Fizz he knows some familiar faces aboard the Louisville coaching staff:

“Terrell Buckley (from Akron) got a job at Louisville as the corners’ coach. He really liked me and wants me to play for him. Also, Coach Lamar Thomas from Western Kentucky switched over to Louisville too. The Akron coach came to my school today and I told him I don’t have my choice but I will know after my Syracuse visit. He said ‘okay.’”

So it sounds like Zips head man Terry Bowden doesn’t have much of a problem with Washington exploring other options. Bowden really can’t contest that. How can Washington just ignore a pair of legitimate offers from ACC schools?

“This is my second ACC School to offer me. It’s great. It is amazing these schools are coming. I wish I had earlier on in my high school career that I wanted to go to, and now they are coming, For Syracuse to say they need people to play right away, that’s what I want to do. I am not trying to red shirt for any school.”

His Louisville visit is slated for January 24, followed by a date with the Orange the next week. Syracuse has the advantage in terms of giving Washington his final look prior to National Signing Day. It doesn’t hurt either to have, without question, the biggest regular-season college basketball game of the season between Duke and SU that weekend.

Picture the looks on some of the 2014 prospects’ faces.

247 Sports gives Louisville a 75 percent chance to land Washington. The other 25 percent goes to Akron, a program he committed to just before Christmas. Really hard to understand why Syracuse isn’t getting any shot to land the 2-star defensive back. Yes, Louisville provides familiarity, but Washington has a boatload of that, along with numerous players on the SU roster from the Miami area.

From the sound of it, Washington’s last words for The Fizz seem promising:  

“They want me to play right away. It’s a great school. It’s all positive, no negatives about Syracuse. It is probably going to be the school I like most because they want me to play right away. Only time will tell.”

Posted by: Brendan Glasheen 

The Fizz is owned, edited and operated by Damon Amendolara. D.A. is an ’01 Syracuse graduate from the Newhouse School with a degree in Broadcast Journalism.

Archives

Facebook

Copyright © 2017 Orange Fizz

To Top