Familiar Territory: ’15 OLB Recruit Qaadir Sheppard Enjoys Syracuse Visit

Follow The Fizz on Twitter for the latest SU football news

New York State hasn’t very kind to Syracuse in recent years when it comes down to plucking top notch in-state talent. Defensive prizes like Ebenezer Ogundeko and Thomas Holley ring a bell.  Even though Scott Shafer and company have transitioned into a new form of recruiting, 2015 recruit Qaadir Sheppard, outside linebacker, is high on SU’s radar. The Bronx, NY native visited Syracuse over the weekend and called the trip “great,” according to CuseNation.com

The 6’3”, 225-pounder has a handful of northeast schools after his services. Boston College, New Jersey rival Rutgers and UMass have all offered Sheppard. His Rutgers visit and offer was just about a month ago. Sheppard told NJ.com what Scarlet Knights’ head coach Kyle Flood admired of him:

“Coach Flood said he likes how I’m able to rush the passer, and he said I can also drop back in coverage. And I think I’m pretty good at running routes when I’m at tight end, catching the ball.”

That’s the other catch. Literally. Sheppard plays some tight end as well at Iona Prep High School in New Rochelle, NY. He brings versatility to the table which the coaching staff always admires. Dual-ability players excite Shafer on the defensive end and George McDonald on the offensive side of the ball.

Watch Qaadir Sheppard’s defensive and offensive highlights here.

Sheppard owns raw talent getting to the outside and dismantling the quarterback. He’s quick and can dash even at 225 pounds. Offensively Sheppard can go up and get it in the back of the end zone. That’s an extremely valuable weapon for QBs in the red-zone. The versatility factors makes him an obvious standout.

Although OLB isn’t necessarily a position of need with four new LBs coming in, Sheppard still catches Syracuse’s attention uniquely. Being from the Bronx provides an instant connection. Yes, SU has been strongly emphasizing going after the best talent available rather than focusing on owning New York City, but this is a case of the staff being true to itself. Sheppard has a ton of upside that fits the overall mold.

NJ.com’s Todderick Hunt also reported last month Sheppard has no idea when he plans to make a decision or narrow a list down. The report also says he will be attending Rutgers’ spring practices in the coming weeks. He’s not Ebo or Holley, but Sheppard’s a stud from the Bronx.

Wouldn’t it be nice to lock a NYC guy up to break in the 2015 class? Sounds good to me.

Posted by: Brendan Glasheen

1. S Greene says:

Sounds great to me! Would really be a huge win for the program if we can start locking down the Home state.

It looks like Shafer is making a stronger effort this year for getting recruits out of the NYC/NJ area’s Terry.

I watched the tape on Qaadir and it looks like the kid would be a great addition to the team in 2015. The only down side to this young man at this point in time is he is a N/R recruit with only Boston College,UMASS,Rutgers and Syracuse showing interest in him. The upside for Qaadir is that he is fast and does cover the field well from the OLB position.

It would be nice to get this young man to become a member of the Orangenation.

3. Cuse17 says:

Very early…. Chatter about us being active “sounds good”. I like Shafer’s ability to generate interest in the Illinois area. Speaks well to his reputation.
    I get we want to fish in our back yard.. But… The best football talent on the planet is in South Florida. Where is Cuse.. Our Offensive staff is suppose to have street credit…not so much! I read the commits every year.. Almost no Cuse! What Cuse there is is leftovers the High School coaches are trying to place… Everyone comes here.. Rutgers, Wisconsin, Miami, Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, Fl. State and on and on….
    If you go fishing… The best bet is were the fish are.. NYC has never been rich with talent… A few here and there.
    We need a South Florida Strategy!

4. Cuse17 says:

I have NO idea how you build a football recruiting presence in a target area. Hire a local guy with connections and relationships.. That’s what we do in business.. I do know we have a large Alumni Group and presence in South Florida. Lots of North-easterners, retired.. moneyed and escaping taxes and living the good life. We’d sure try and help if we knew what to do….. Just saying!
    And of course there is the Administration getting
    on Board. They have fund raisers that darken my door
    twice a year looking for general funds… Time to
    fix Football!

Well CUSE17 we have a better Alumni Group in NYC/LI area than any where in Florida!!! Go to MSG and you’ll see that!! But yes S. Florida has the better meat to recruit. The truth is SU still has to collect the best NYS/LI has to offer. That shows the program is flourishing. If SU doesn’t other programs(and for the last 10 years they have)will tell players “hell they(home grown players)don’t even want to plat at SU” so why travel a 1000 miles to play at SU. That has killed SU’s chances on some talent. All recent coaches, HCSS to, have blown the NYS connection!! Granted the talent is not where it should be in NYS/LI, but a nugget or two are always around once in a while. Most of the best players ever to play SU had came from NYS/LI area!!! Don’t give up on them!! SU needs to put up higher fences around NYS!! Winning is key and facilities too. But SU is still a dinosaur because the material is lying in the mud for the facilities instead in the ground. That shows what SU thinks of its SUFB program!! The big stall!! You think recruits don’t feel that too!! This administration does not feel SUFB is a priority-NOW!! Its one reason SU loses NYS/LI talent!! Your insulting these players intelligence!! STUPID!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry old fart syndrome here!!

Please do not forget the kids of PSABUSEDU!! The NCAA did!!

7. Cuse17 says:

Terry,
    Not dismissing the NY alumni strength… Probably the best fund raising group thanks to NYC!
    Just suggesting we’d help if asked or knew what to do…
    On the next two issues we are 100% in step…
    The Administration has to get off it’s ass and start supporting the Athletic Program! Unfortunately, under “Nancy” our Law School and Business School are now longer in the Top 50 either. Lots of excuses.. Same bullshit!
    The new Chancellor has to fix the “Nancy” mess! Including football!

On the issue of PS…
    You are right on target! One more black eye for the NCAA.
    They have forgotten! They wanted too!
    I haven’t!

8. Cuse17 makes some good points and the longer I listen to Terry the more respect I have for his opinion. We have to have “some” kinda buzz in NYC/NJ metro if were ever gonna get back where we were in the 90s!! Yes we need some Fla/Ga recruits but why do their coaches come up here to fill there rosters if their so rich in talent? They’re taking from us whats rightfully ours by our neglect…RU will only get so many…we should be right there taking ours.

9. Of course there are a lot of “fish” in S/Fla and because of that the competition to get those “fish” with midwestern recruiter’s is over the top when we have trouble attracting kids from right within our own footprint!! If I can’t find money in my pocket i’ll look into the richer man’s? We’ve been lost and seeking our way ever since we went the “grass is greener” route post PP. Like many here have said…work from inside you’re base out not the reverse. Why should I go there is the question negative recruiter’s are telling our target’s down south when local kids won’t let alone NYC/NJ/LI etc? I guess even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and again if u dig long and hard enough in scattershot recruiting. Everyone has connections in Fla not just us! Kid’s today are fickle and spoiled so why think because we love Cuse they will? I hope HCSS has “stain”. But I agree we should supplement with Ga/Fla/midwest talent.

10. Mademan says:

Hey fellas, I miss you guys and I see why you guys hated Greg Schiano so much. I literally HATE James Franklin. This guy can recruit like nobody else but can he coach? State Penn is whopping our asses in recruiting!