Mark your calendars: the Fizz brings you the five most exciting football games for 2014-15. The 2014 SU football season has some big programs on the list with an opportunity for the Orange to go to its fourth bowl in five years.
- Syracuse vs. Notre Dame – Because the game will be played in East Rutherford, the Orange will expect a pro-Irish crowd despite the difference in proximity. The Orange will play the Fightin’ Irish for the first time since putting off the upset in South Bend in 2008. The series is currently tied 3-3. A win would be massive for the program. Like all SU games played at MetLife Stadium, recruits from all around the area will be watching and seeing what the Orange has to offer. Unlike the Penn State game last year, the Orange will have a few games against lower-tier schools such as Villanova and Central Michigan to build momentum and chemistry early on. The game will most certainly be on national television, something that the Orange needs to capitalize on, considering how many games they have played recently in New Jersey.
- Syracuse vs. Louisville – A week after the Notre Dame game, the familiar Louisville Cardinals will visit the Hill in their first visit as members of the ACC. The game is scheduled for Friday night so expect a packed crowd at the Dome. The last time the Cardinals came to Syracuse, the Orange pulled off a mighty upset against Teddy Bridgewater and 9th-ranked Louisville. The Cardinals will be a familiar face to the Orange, who met many times in the Big East. It will be interesting to see how the Louisville program reacts on the field to a new head coach after Charlie Strong bolted in the offseason to Texas.
- Syracuse vs. Florida State — The schedule does not get any easier as the defending national champions come to town the week after. Heisman winner Jameis Winston will be looking to compete again for the prized trophy. The Orange its fair share of issues in Tallahassee last year as the Seminoles crushed the Orange 59-3. Winston threw for 277 yard and two TDs in the rout. This will be by far the hardest stretch the Orange go through on their schedule, but luckily a few of the games will be occurring in the Carrier Dome, where we have seen our fair share of upsets.
- Syracuse vs. Clemson – The Orange will make its first trip to Death Valley this season to avenge a 49-14 spanking the Tigers gave them last season. Tajh Boyd has taken his talents to the NFL and Clemson is looking for their next quarterback after Chad Kelly got thrown off the team. That name sound familiar? He was a Buffalo product who looked at the Orange but chose the Tigers instead a few years ago. Sammy Watkins, who burned the Orange for a 91-yard touchdown last year, has also left Can the Orange capitalize on Clemson’s losses? We will see October 25th.
- Syracuse vs. Duke – Who knew this rivalry could extend beyond basketball when Syracuse joined the ACC? Duke had a tremendous season under David Cutcliffe last year and looks to build some momentum in a football program that has not seen much success. The Orange will only have two more games after this and both are on the road against former Big East foes Pittsburgh and Boston College. If the Orange are a few wins shy of a bowl game, the Duke game could prove to be crucial to SU’s bowl chances.
We are exactly four months away from the 2014 Syracuse football season.
Posted by: Zephan Mayell