Syracuse basketball is full of its tournament runs and rivalries, big wins and tough losses, conference matches and non-conference visits.
But before the ACC, and even before the Big East, SU basketball was Independent.
So on this Independence Day, let’s take a look back at how the Orange performed during their independence.
- Syracuse went undefeated in its first year with a basketball team (1898-1899). SU went 1-0… but still.
- SU basketball was Independent from 1898 to 1979 before joining the Big East for the 1979-1980 season. Syracuse did not play in the 1899-1900 nor 1943-1944 seasons.
- As an Independent team, Syracuse accumulated over 1,000 wins.
- Both WWI and WWII took place during Syracuse basketball’s Independent years.
- SU only had 16 seasons with a record under 0.500.
- Syracuse never had more than three consecutive under-0.500 seasons.
Syracuse basketball has played as an Independent team for most of its seasons. Of course, the United States has been independent for many more years than SU even existed. So, today, happy Independence Day, for the 242nd time!
Published: David Edelstein