In the Orange’s first game that matters in seven months, Syracuse has a 28-10 lead over Eastern Washington at halftime. Frank Howard is inactive tonight, but Jalen Carey and Howard Washington are both dressed for the first time all season. Here’s what we learned in the Orange’s first 20 minutes of their 2018-19 regular season.
- After Syracuse missed six consecutive three pointers to start the game, forward Marek Dolezaj buried one from the left wing to make the Orange 1-7 on the day. Dolezaj made just two shots from deep all of last season. Looks like he’s been working on it? Stroke looked comfortable.
- Elijah Hughes will change this offense. The ECU transfer showcased his moves early in the game with an isolation jumper at the left elbow.
- We got our first look at a Syracuse point guard this season when Jalen Carey entered the game halfway through the first half. He scored his first point of the year on a coast to coast explosion. He adds a speed to the offense that Jim Boeheim’s team hasn’t had in a while.
- The Eagles started the game by trapping every Syracuse screen. After getting burned several times, they shifted to a zone. Around that same time, the Eastern Washington offense disappeared. It seemed like the Eagles had eight points for the entire half.
- Strong opening half from Oshae Brissett. He finished 4-8 with a team high 10 points and had a couple of impressive slams to go along with it. Sky is the limit for him this year.