In the wake of the accusations against Bernie Fine, Jim Boeheim has come out guns ablazing. While Joe Paterno offered few words besides “pray for the victims” and “beat Nebraska!”, The Per’fesser is taking this story head on. The defiant, combative nature of Boeheim, combined with his sharp tongue and direct approach is actually perfect for this situation. Again, we should all take these allegations seriously. It’s important to give the proper amount of sensitivity to it whether it feels fabricated or not. But here’s the 5 strongest quotes from Boehiem.
1) “It is a bunch of a thousand lies that he has told. You don’t think it is a little funny that his cousin (relative) is coming forward?”
Boeheim immediately casts major doubt on the accuser. Not only is it a lie, according to Boeheim, it’s a thousand of them. And he questions the integrity of the story via the family connection. This is JB’s strongest dismissal of the allegations.
2) “He supplied four names to the university that would corroborate his story. None of them did … there is only one side to this story. He is lying.”
This is also a strong indictment of the story. SU backed this up in its statement, clearly separating itself from PSU. These facts certainly makes the accuser look dubious. Smart by Boeheim to use this.
3) “I believe they saw what happened at Penn State and they are using ESPN to get money. That is what I believe. You want to put that on the air? Put that on the air.”
Boeheim gives a motive. Backed up the “put that on the air” is when Jim is at his defiant best. Syracuse media has met this wrath before.
4) “I know this kid, but I never saw him in any rooms or anything. He makes the point that he was around and traveling with the team. Not that I know of. I never saw him.”
The “I never saw him” is couched a bit by “not that I know of.” The accuser traveling with the team sounds bad. So, if Boeheim denies that happened, major hole in the story.
5) “Why wouldn’t he come to the police (first this time)? Why would he go to ESPN? What are people looking for here? I believe they are looking for money.”
This is last, simply because he mentioned the money aspect before. But Boeheim hammers it home. Extortion will always give fuel to skeptics on allegations that follow PSU. Needless to say, SU’s response to these allegations have been far better than anything by Penn State. Within hours, the university did a forceful job of telling its side.
Photo credit: Marc Squire/Getty Images