Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage

BB Recruiting

Syracuse Basketball Recruiting Update: Second Commitment, Girard Close To Decision

As the 2018 basketball season approaches, Syracuse got some good news this week about the potential 2019 roster. Let’s catch you up.

Orange Gets Second Commitment

First off, SU picked up its second recruit of the 2019 class. 6-11 three-star center, John Bol Ajak, will join combo-guard Brycen Goodine as commits from that class. Bol Ajak might be somewhat of a project after a serious injury last year, but he brings added depth to a position that will need it after Paschal Chukwu leaves. For more on him and the prestigious school where he plays ball at now click here.

Quincy Guerrier Puts Syracuse in Top 3

Tuesday we found out about Bol Ajak and the following day the good news kept coming for Syracuse. Guerrier, a four-star forward from Canada, trimmed his list to three and the Orange made the cut.

Guerrier is not ranked on the ESPN site, partially because he’s from up north, but has him as the 48th best target in the 2019 class. At 6-7,190, he has a build that would look quite nice in the 2-3 zone.

Guerrier knocked Auburn, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, Maryland, South Carolina and Virginia Tech off his list. Currently, 247sports crystal ball projections gives Oregon a 60% chance of getting him, Syracuse 40% and no mention of Illinois. Guerrier already visited SU and is set to tour Illinois on Oct. 5th.

Jimmy B and GMac visit Joe Girard

The highly-anticipated decision from Jimmer Fredette 2.0/Joe Girard is supposedly coming soon. With that in mind, it appears Jimbo and GMac went to give their final push on Thursday.

Girard is currently in the midst of his football season for Glen Falls High School. The starting quarterback’s dad says he wants to make the decision before the football playoffs begin in a couple weeks, according to Mike Waters of 247sports.coms crystal ball currently projects SU as the favorites with a nice 69% of the votes. Coach K and Duke are in second with 15% of recruiting “experts” saying he’s gonna land in Durham.

Girard might be a little overhyped at this point just based on his awesome backstory, connection to Jimmer Fredette, and scoring records. Regardless, though, he would be a big get for SU’s backcourt in 2019 and likely a four-year player with high scoring upside.

Jalen Lecque Picks NC State

Lecque, a highly-touted guard from Brewster Academy, is going to return to the Tar Heel State where he played high school ball until his junior year to join NC State. He had already cut SU out when he trimmed his list to seven earlier in the fall.

If you include Girard and Guerrier, SU is currently still after seven targets in the class of 2019. The five others:

Akok Akok

Qudus Wahab

Isaiah Stewart

Kofi Cockburn

Dimon Carrigan

Follow @OrangeFizz on twitter for breaking updates on everything related to this recruiting cycle and any other SU news.

The Fizz is owned, edited and operated by Damon Amendolara. D.A. is an ’01 Syracuse graduate from the Newhouse School with a degree in Broadcast Journalism.


Copyright © 2017 Orange Fizz

To Top