There’s a new name in the chase for 5-star recruit Brandon Huntley-Hatfield. The Miami Hurricanes have jumped into the recruitment for Syracuse’s biggest target in years, reports Jason Jordan of SI.
Another school to fend off is never good news, but on the bright side recent reports suggest SU is still in great standing. Jerry Meyer of 247 Sports says BHH is “slightly leaning Ole Miss, but Syracuse is definitely right in there with Ole Miss. It looks like they are the two strongest schools with him now.”
So what’s the scouting report on the power forward?
- Prototypical PF body with size, strength and power
- Explosive athlete
- Coaches say he has elite body control for a player his size
- He has the ability to score from inside and outside
- Decent ball-handling skills
- He’s comfortable with the ball in his hands and can drive to the basket
- Doesn’t mind driving toward his off-hand
- Can dominate as a rebounder
- Needs to work on defensive responsibility
There’s been some hits and plenty of misses for SU recruiting in recent years. If the Orange can land BHH (Class of ’22) it would be a huge coup, and perhaps be the focal point of a team under a new coach if Jim Boeheim is indeed 1-2 years away from retirement, as some have projected.