Less than two months away from Team Fizz taking over Syracuse using a stolen Otto costume, half a rack of Dinosaur BBQ ribs and the Volvo Naughty s60. The good people at the Cake Group have fashioned a good ol’ road trip back to campus for all 16 participating Big East blogs.
Since I’m the only member of Team Fizz outside of CNY, this marks a reconnect like Voltron for the weekend March 5th. What’s more, the Orange plays DePaul on Senior Day that afternoon. Perfect game to serenade Rick Jackson and send the Orange off to the Big East tournament while thrashing the Blue Demons in front of 30,000.
If we’re gonna be rocking the s60 all weekend, we should get a mix tape going. The Fizz has already identified our 5-Step To Do List for SU-DePaul. Unfortunately, here’s doubting the new Naughty’s have cassette decks, so we’re gonna cobble together our playlist from our iTunes library, drop it onto an iPod and plug it into the Volvo stereo system.
5) Michael Jackson – “Speed Demon.” Wildly underrated song from MJ’s “Bad” album. Good way to celebrate the speed of Scoop Jardine and Brandon Triche killing the Blue Demons. Also, pretty appropriate way to ramp up for getting the s60 out on I-90 and I-35 and seeing what it’s got under the hood.
4) Fabolous – “My Time.” First, Fab is a New York kid. Second, by March we’ll be watching a raw Fab Melo being polished into a legit piece of the Big Dance puzzle. And with an undefeated record, a Top 5 ranking, yeah it’s Syracuse’s time.
3) Luther Vandross – “One Shining Moment.” Syracuse is hoping to celebrate later in the month with its first Final Four since ’03. Is there anything better than heading to the Dome to watch an Orange tail-kicking with 30,000 of your closest, most delirious friends and hearing, “The ball is tipped… and there you arrrre…” It’ll be a little dusty in the s60.
2) Rob Murphy – “Shut it Down.” The anthem of the last two seasons for the ‘Cuse. How many Big East schools have an assistant coach who dropped a hip hop track available in the iTunes store? It’s also a reminder how devastating SU’s 2-3 zone has been and defensively shutting down the opponent is the key to an Orange run.
1) Jay-Z – “Empire State of Mind.” What else would it be? The Orange will be putting the finishing touches on another dominant home record at the Carrier Dome and be prepping for a Big Apple run in the Big East Tourney and build up to March Madness. It doesn’t hurt the Orange has already blasted Final Four favorite Michigan State at Madison Square Garden and beaten St. John’s on the Storm’s home floor. Yeah, we are New York’s College Team.